Live in Canada Permanently after Graduation

International students studying in Canada definitely enjoy many benefits and one such benefit is the opportunity to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) after meeting the eligibility requirements.

Let’s find out more…

First, what is CEC?

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration category which allows foreigners with qualifying Canadian work experience to become permanent residents in Canada.

For example, if you have been working and living in Canada for a period of time and upon meeting the requirement of CEC, you can apply for permanent residence status which provide for almost the same benefits of a Canadian citizen.

Hence, as an international student who had graduated from an accredited Canadian education institution supported with Canadian work experience gained through the Post-graduation Work Permit Program, you may qualify to become permanent resident under CEC.

How can an international student qualify for permanent residency under CEC?

To quality, you must meet the following minimum requirement:-

  • You have at least 12 months full-time meaning 30 hours/week for 12 months or an equal amount in part-time meaning 15 hours/week for 24 months or 30 hours/week for 12 months of more than one job of skilled work experience* in Canada in the 3 years before application.
  • You have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization to work in Canada.
  • You have met the required language levels** needed for your job in speaking reading, writing and listening with a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
  • You plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

*skilled work experience according to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) refers to the following –

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0) – such as restaurant managers, human resource managers, finance managers
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill tpe A) – such as doctors, engineers, architects
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B) – such as chefs, electricians, plumbers

**minimum language ability refers to the following –

Important Notes:-

However, it is important to note that some occupation do not qualify for CEC.

As of 9 November 2013, experience accumulated in the following occupations is not eligible for CEC:-

  • cooks (NOC code 6322),
  • food service supervisors (NOC 6311),
  • administrative officers (NOC 1221),
  • administrative assistants (NOC 1241),
  • accounting technicians and book-keeprs (NOC 1311), and
  • retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211).

Also, in January 2015, a new application system ‘Express Entry‘ was introduced to facilitate immigration programs such as

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program,
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program,
  • Canadian Experience Class, and
  • a portion of Provincial Nominee Program.

Think Study Canada Team
All information herein is provided to the best of knowledge at time of research and serves only as reference.